You know how every parent thinks their kid is so smart...well...I KNOW my kid is (hehe--I know you are rolling your eyes). I have been noticing lately that Katy is wanting more attention (surprise surprise) from me (probably after all that has happened over the last few months) so I decided to put our time together to "good" use. I went to the Christmas Tree Shop and the Dollar store and spent-literally-$8 and got 2 foam puzzles and 4 decks of flash cards. Two of them are even the Backyardigans! Puwrfect (as Katy would say). So now we are planning to spend some "school" time every day. This morning we worked on the color deck (it was her first time and she got every card right!!) and the numbers. Now she can already count from 1 to almost 20 on her own (and up to 8 in Spanish), but we are working now on recognizing that the numbers have a symbol (i.e. 1,2 ,3, etc.). The cards have animals and items on them that she gets to count. She loves it! I think that on any given day she asks me to "help me count Mama" about 10 times. She counts toys, pancakes, books, letters...ANYTHING!! She just loves to count! I showed her the flash cards and gave her a wooden spoon to use as her pointer. She would name the animal and count them, then we would turn the card over and talk about the number and I had her trace it with the pointer. After all of the numbers, we put together the number puzzle. She also knows all of the colors- even black, brown, and white, but I thought we could work on connecting colors and items, so next we played a game where I showed her the flash card (with a backyardigan holding, wearing, or standing next to something) and asked her what it was the character was holding and what color it was. When she got it right (which was every time!) she got the card and we put it into the correct color section of her Tigger and Pooh color wheel place mat (see pictures below). She just amazed me! She really enjoyed the one on one time and the learning. But...after the puzzle she said "too hard" and I knew it was time to stop for the day! :) She did get a little reward for all her hard work--a few nerds!! She loved them! :) Tomorrow we will work on letters and the beginning sounds. Maybe by the time we come to Texas she will be able to show all of yall what she has learned! Not too much longer! We cant wait!
Blue...just like those precious eyes!!
A full wheel....ready for more...
On two (I mean to) the numbers!



2 comments:
she's wicked sma't. ;)
Of course she's smart...:) You do realize, all that number and color knowledge is preparing her for...SHOPPING! he he...you know, "Can I have the pink and white dress mommy, it costs $18.00?! Nana :)
Post a Comment